Trolleys are a key piece of equipment for any 3PL facility. They can help improve efficiency by moving heavy loads from one location to another, but what are the best trolleys for a 3PL? Well, there’s no one-fits-all solution, so you’ll have to consider a few crucial factors in mind, so that you can determine which features to look for in the trolley.
Factors to Consider When Deciding on a Trolley
- What will you be transporting with it?
- Where will it be going?
- Is this a one-time trip, or do you have multiple stops along the way?
- How long will it take to get from point A to point B?
- What kind of weight are you dealing with?
- Will your cargo be light, medium or heavy?
- Do you have any special needs customers (such as fragile products) that require additional consideration?
Features to Consider When Choosing a Trolley
Here are some features you should keep in mind when selecting your next trolley:
- Weight Capacity – This is probably the most important feature when considering any type of equipment. A high weight capacity will not only save you money because you won’t have to purchase multiple units, but it can also increase efficiency and reduce the number of trips back and forth between locations.
- Durability – Another important aspect to consider when choosing a trolley is durability. Even though this piece of equipment is not typically used on a daily basis, it still needs to be able to withstand some abuse. Trolleys made of sturdy materials like stainless steel or aluminium generally are more durable than those made of plastic or other less sturdy materials.
- Portability – The trolley must be portable. If you have to make multiple trips with your equipment, it’s important that the trolley is lightweight and easy to carry around. A trolley that is too heavy or difficult to maneuver can be a real pain, and can make your work much harder than it needs to be.
- Industrial Caster – The casters play a crucial role in the overall durability and weight capacity of the trolley. They need to be able to rotate 360 degrees without any issues, which will help you get around corners more easily. An industrial caster is typically more durable than regular casters because they are built to withstand heavy weight and frequent use.
- Handles – Most people think that the handles on a trolley are there for convenience, but they actually serve a very important purpose. Handles should be ergonomically designed so that they don’t put any unnecessary strain on your shoulders or back when carrying equipment around.
- Multi-Use – Many companies have found that it is more cost-effective to purchase a single trolley that can be used for multiple purposes. This is especially true when it comes to shipping containers and large packages that need to be transported from one location to another.
- Price – You don’t have to spend a fortune on a trolley to get the most important features of your business. There are plenty of affordable options available today that still offer great durability and weight capacity. For example, you can find plenty of affordable options made from high-quality materials that can support a lot of weight without breaking. Additionally, many of these options are also highly durable, meaning they’ll last for years without needing to be replaced.
- Ease of Use – The last feature we’ll cover in this article is ease of use. You don’t want to purchase a piece of equipment that will be difficult for employees to operate on a daily basis. You want something that is easy to use and will make their jobs easier, not something that will be a headache for them to deal with.
The Final Word
With all of these features in mind, the ideal trolley for a 3PL facility would be durable enough to withstand heavy weight and frequent use; have handles that are ergonomically designed; and have a weight capacity of at least 400kg. However, many companies will find that this type of equipment can be quite expensive.
If you’re on a budget, there are still plenty of affordable options available today that can get the job done. For example, you could go with a trolley that has industrial casters and handles; or one that is made from lightweight aluminium with heavy-duty wheels capable of carrying up to 1,000kg each.
Depending on your specific needs, there are many different types of trolleys out there for you to choose from. The best thing you can do is spend some time looking at each option and finding the one that offers the features you need most.