Essential oils are actually not oils at all. They are complex chemical compounds derived from organic plant sources such as roots, seeds, flowers, bark, and so on. Only the scented particles are extracted from the plant using different kinds of methods and the other chemical components are left behind. These highly concentrated natural extracts are widely known for their healing and purifying properties. Because of their strong antioxidant properties people have been using essential oils for thousands of years in various different applications like perfumes, soaps, skincare products, aromatherapy and medicine.
Research has show that these oils have great healing properties and can be used to heal a large number of health conditions including arthritis, digestive issues, sore throat, congestion, joint pain, muscle fatigue, skin conditions, and many more.
There are hundreds of types of essential oils you can choose from and each of them has unique health benefits and therapeutic powers. When choosing essential oils you need to consider the effect they will have on you and your environment, the budget you have available since there are oils that are rare and much harder to extract and, of course, you need to consider the fragrance. The good thing is that you can also find the exact essential oil blend that will suit you the most. Various oils can be blended together in order to achieve a synergy. There are certain recipes that need to be followed when you are mixing them, but you can get an essential oil blend that has already been tested and proven that it works well.
Here is a list of some of the most popular essential oils and their unique health benefits.
- Peppermint gives you a natural energy boost and also improves mental alertness. It can be used as a lotion, massage oil, mouthwash and it is very helpful with indigestion.
- Lavender is a highly versatile oil and it is mostly used for its soothing properties. It relaxes both the mind and the body and may help in reducing inflammation. Applying just a small amount of this oil can reduce stress and help you get a good nights sleep.
- Tea Tree is one of the most effective of all the essential oils. It is widely used to fight infections and improve your immune system. The healing benefits of the tea tree are really amazing. It can be used to treat skin conditions, cuts, burns, dandruff, and much more.
- Chamomile is an essential oil that much like lavender has a calming effect. It is also a great mood booster and can be used in vapor therapy to reduce stress.
- Rosemary is an oil that has rejuvenating effects on the body. It will help relieve headaches, improve your memory, relieve stress and stimulate circulation in the scalp.